South Africa’s Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA)
The Challenges Of POPIA
- Privacy challenge – The GDPR, POPIA and other privacy regulations require organisations to implement measures to ensure technical and operational controls for securing data.
- Security challenges – POPIA requires the confidentiality, integrity and accountability (CIA) of data, i.e. data secured. Each data set requires identifying where the data is and stored and who has access to the data.
- Governance challenge – Implementing an ISMS or a PIMS to manage personal data, incident response procedures and data retention periods defined by the organisation.
- Ongoing responsibility challenge – organisations have often underestimated the effort required to implement the necessary measures to satisfy POPIA. POPIA is an ongoing initiative, and at all times, your organisation must be able to demonstrate compliance as your business evolves.
The Benefits Of POPIA
- Increase reliability and reputation – POPIA improves reputation with stakeholders and third parties.
- Customer and third party confidence – stakeholders are confident the information and the systems protecting the privacy data adhere to industry best practice security controls.
- Increase in organisation resilience – measures implemented can protect your organisation against cyber threats.
- Improve data management – minimize the stored privacy data, and refine data management processes.
What needs to be assessed
Core focus areas for evaluation during the assessment:
Why choose Securicentrix for POPIA?
Securicentrix is a CREST-accredited and award-winning provider of penetration testing services. Our ethical hacking engagements, including network penetration testing and web application testing, help organisations to achieve PCI DSS pen test standards by identifying weaknesses that could enable card payment details to be compromised by criminal attackers.
SecuriCentrix’s security services are designed to provide the vital assistance needed to make tangible improvements to your organisation’s cyber security posture.
Expert security services and solutions tailored to your needs